In Spanish, palo santo means “holy wood.” This beautifully fragrant wood is usually only harvested from tree branches that have already fallen off the tree, to honour its holiness.
‘Smudging’ is an ancient practice that dates back to traditional cultures. Smudging is the essential practice of cleansing/purifying your energy or aura with palo santo or sage. The belief is that we pick up energy that isn’t necessarily our own throughout our interactions in a day and by practicing smudging you are clearing away any energy that isn’t benevolent to your own. Beyond beliefs, there is science backing this phenomenon as we know now that we have subtle fields of energy around us.
Smudging with sage or palo santo produces a medicinal smoke that has antiseptic, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties. In burning your bundle, it can help purify and rid the air of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
A study published by Journal of Ethnopharmacology showed that burning sage removes 94% of airborne bacteria.
Palo Santo is used in rituals to cleanse and ward off negative energies (Palo Santo is related to frankincense, myrrh, and copal trees, three other powerful energy cleansers and protectors). The wood is also used to communicate with the divine, heal on the physical and spiritual levels, and improve concentration and mental focus during meditation.
How to Use:
Always use a burn bowl under your Palo Santo
Smudging can be done anytime you feel moved to use it. Here are our go-to Palo Santo uses:
- Your aura or energy
- Cleanse your aura before/after going into public.
- Perhaps chaotic spaces like the mall or busy attractions
- Perfect for holiday shopping
- Your space
- Cleanse your new home or office space.
- Anywhere that you are going to spend significant time
- Got that spooky feeling in your new-old house? Sage it.
- Your mind/busy brain
- Catching yourself in a negative thought pattern? Make the conscious choice to stop it in its tracks and transmute it into a belief that serves your best self
- Palo Santo (sticks sold individually)
Specification: Palo Santo